Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Sweater Planning - Fingering Weight Edition

My Cozy Gull Vertebrae Sweater is getting close to being done. I just need two half-sleeves and the front button band (though there are no buttons so is it really a button band?). So now I'm on the hunt for my next sweater pattern. My Vertebrae is knit with Quince and Co Chickadee which is a heavy sport/DK weight, so I'm thinking my next sweater should be something lighter in a fingering weight. I wear my lighter sweaters much more than my heavier ones down here in the Louisiana heat and I've got a few different patterns in mind.

I'm a little picky when it comes to sweater knitting. I only knit top-down sweaters which limits me quite a bit, but there are still plenty of nice patterns to pick from.



This pattern is insanely popular on Ravelry, and I'm sure you've heard of it. It's been knit over 7000 times, so I feel pretty comfortable knitting it. I would definitely use fingering weight instead of a lace weight yarn though, and I'd switch the fronts to ribbing or seed stitch because I hate the way it curls.



I'm really drawn to this one because of the cabled edging and the textured fronts! I can imagine this in a lovely light blue or a darker green. It's only been knit 12 times according to Ravelry, so I'm a little apprehensive.



This is a simply gorgeous sweater out of a beautiful color. Those cables look so classy and soft and I'm itching to knit this as well.

All of these sweaters are fingering weight, so once I decide which to make, I have to decide which yarn to pick. I have several ideas in mind.

1. Dye my own yarn: I've been dyeing yarn for a few months, and I feel pretty confident in my dyeing abilities. This would be the cheapest option, but I would be limited in what yarn bases I could use because my supplier mostly has nylon blend fingering weights.

2. Quince and Co Tern: After knitting my last sweater with Quince and Co yarn, I've fallen in love with the brand. I love how they source their wool in the USA, and they have some beautiful colorways. If I picked this pretty silk/wool blend yarn, I'd use either the Sea Glass or Mist colorways.

3. Wollmeise Pure: I don't know about any of you, but in my mind Wollmeise in the holy grail of yarn. I've wanted to work with it for as long as I can remember, but I've never found it in the wild. Making my sweater out of Wollmeise would be about $30-$40 more than using the Quince and Co, and 2-3x as much as using my handdyed, so I'm a little hesitant.

Please let me know what you think! Have you knit any of these sweaters or used any of this yarn? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment